New business opportunities from satellite data
In the last 30 years, substantial R&D efforts in the field of Earth observation (EO) have been made globally. At EU level, EO activities are coordinated with the Copernicus programme, which is one of the leading providers of open EO data. However, technical barriers currently prevent users from fully exploiting the data and information that Copernicus delivers. The combination of space data with other data sources and technologies open up many business opportunities for all EU member states. Stronger links with the commercial downstream sector are essential to develop tailor-made applications, reach out to new users and connect the space sector with other sectors.
The BalticSatApps project speeds up innovation creation
BalticSatApps strives to speed up the market uptake of EO satellite data in the Baltic Sea Region by utilising societal challenges and needs along with the developer community as innovation drivers. The project will increase awareness about the data provided by the Copernicus programme, improve access to the data, and stimulate demand and innovation through co-creation and iterative development methodologies. Regional science and technology parks will also be provided with training on how to support SMEs in the emerging EO market by running specialised acceleration programmes.
BalticSatApps tasks in brief
- Examine the needs of end users for Earth observation (EO) data
- Stimulate EO demand and related innovation activities through co-creation methodologies and iterative development (e.g. a series of hackathons will be organised in order to discover new solutions utilising open EO data)
- Organise training for regional science and technology parks, so that they are able to provide EO-utilising businesses with support in the form of tailor-made acceleration programmes
- Support the activities of ESA BIC business incubation centres
- Promote the revolution in space business where phenomena such open satellite data, mini-satellites and asteroid mining are gaining wide interest
- Support aspiring entrepreneurs, start-ups, as well as established companies to leverage open EO data