Main areas of interest of potential users of EO services in Russia
The BalticSatApps project set out to assess the potential users of EO data in Russia, and especially the St. Petersburg region. Users were identified as follows: 169 educational organisations (universities), 103 research institutions, 13 non-profit organisations, 31 companies, 33 public authorities, 11 individuals.
Those users represented 19 different domains of interest. Most of the users were interested in Environment (181), then Education (109), Forestry (102), Mapping (95), Soil and Geology (94), Agriculture (82), Emergency Management (67), Hydrology (67), Atmosphere (64), Geodesy, Mining and Surveying (63), and Tourism and Recreation (61).
The need and service demand of their interests are grouped as follows:
- Improve an existing service or procedure (168)
- Need to save time and/or economic and human resources (150)
- Create a new service or procedure (114)
- Obligation (need to respond to policy/regulation).
In the course of the research (the second part of the study “Mapping of technological demand for EO systems”), the project conducted a survey in the St. Petersburg region in Russia to gather end-user needs from the EO industry. The survey respondents (30 relevant companies and related support organisations working with satellite data) identified five main application domains. The EO services use in following application domains has a high importance for the respondents: Agriculture (30%), Forestry (40%), Emergency monitoring (30%), Territories mapping (46.7%), and Environmental monitoring (30%).
The results of the company and expert survey identified main practical tasks for each application domain relevant for the region. These tasks are:
- For agriculture: mapping of agricultural lands and identification of abandoned agricultural land
- For forestry: detection of forest fires and determining the boundaries of wetlands
- For emergency monitoring: identification of dangerous deformations of the earth’s surface and structures and damage assessment in emergency situations
- For territory mapping: creation and updating of a cartographic base for the territory, thematic mapping (mapping of forests, agricultural land), and determining the changes in boundaries of anthropogenic objects
- For environmental monitoring: identification of changes in ecosystem boundaries and determining landfill boundary changes.
Validity of results
In order to achieve the results we conducted the following tasks:
- Gathered end-user needs from EO industry
- Categorised and sort gathered needs
- Assessed needs and made a gap analysis
- Listed existing EO services with their categorization and potential sectors / domains where EO services needed
- Provided all knowledge as EO innovations challenges to be developed within the BalticSatApps project.
We prepared two surveys with questions to gather end-user needs from EO industry. We collected the answers to the surveys via (1) online forms (2) hard copy forms from the events organized or participated.